Email marketing is a crucial part of every digital marketing plan. Email is still the best way to reach out to your customers.
And if Email Marketing is something you deal with every day, this post is for you. Be sure to bookmark this one.
We have worked out this post to include everything included in Email Marketing – list building, email segmentation, developing email copy, conversion and user experience optimization, Email Marketing influencers and eBooks, everything remotely related to Email Marketing, this is your stop.
70+ Email Marketing resources
- Email List Building
- Email User Segmentation
- Email Subject Lines
- Email Copy & Content
- Email Design
- A/B testing
- Email Reporting and Analytics
- Email Personalization
- Conversion Optimization for Email Marketing
- Email Marketing Influencers
- Complete guides and eBook for Email Marketing
We start with helping you grow your email list. It includes all the strategies, usage of various customer-facing channels, the right email lead magnets, and more.
Managing and Building your Email List
- 5 Ways to Quickly Grow your Email List by Boomtrain – When you start Email Marketing, the first thing you need to take care is building an email list quickly and easily. This post addresses such a situation where you need quick ways to grow your list.
- How You Can Build an Email Marketing List as Quickly as Possible by Kissmetrics – Kissmetrics is known to be one of the influencers when it comes to Digital Marketing. This post showcases the most unique methods to build your list quickly by tapping into existing content and relations with your readers.
- All Contacts Aren’t Created Equal: The Right Ways to Treat Your Email Opt-Ins by HubSpot – Every reader is different. So you can’t treat them in the same way and expect them to sign up for your email campaign. HubSpot addresses this situation and provides a way to tackle various sorts of readers.
- 8 Ways to Minimize your Email Unsubscribe Rate by JumpLead – If you want to grow your list quickly, you can’t overlook your email unsubscription rates. JumpLead’s article discusses intuitive ways through which you can drastically reduce email unsubscription rates.
- 6 Inbound Marketing Experts Reveal the 6 Enduring Keys to List Building by ActiveCampaign – Learn from the best when it comes to Email Marketing. This post showcases the tactics that’s used by marketing experts for list building.
- Boomtrain – Boomtrain uses AI and machine learning to dynamically increase subscribers. Here is a case study where they helped Chowhound increase its email list subscription by 2.5X.
- SumoMe – If you’re looking for free fast ways to increase your subscribers using Hello Bars, Lightboxes and Slide-in boxes, SumoMe is a great tool to get started.
- AddThis – AddThis is another great tool for someone looking for a free way to build email leads quickly.
- CampaignMonitor – Campaign monitor provides all sort of Email Marketing tools. They are regarded as a seasoned veteran when it comes Email Marketing. Though a premium services, they do offer a fully-featured trial, so you can make an informed decision.
Due to the diverse nature of your subscribers, it’s really important to segment them properly based on various web activity.
You’ll find that this section helps you out by educating you on how to categorize and segment your readers and prospects. Better segmentation will lead to higher open and click rates as well as higher engagement rates in the long run.
Blog posts –
- Getting Smart with Email List Segmentation by Email Monday – Before you begin with email list segmentation you need to understand how it works and different ways you can approach this tactic. Read this article, if you are new to email list segmentation.
- Personalization vs Segmentation by Boomtrain – There are two aspects to your email list, personalisation and segmentation. Email marketing beginners confuse both the terms as a similar process, but it’s drastically different from one another.
- 30 Ways to Slice Your Email Database for Better Email List Segmentation by HubSpot – One more article by HubSpot. This article showcases 30 unique ways through which you can segment your email list.
- Targeting Your Marketing: Advanced Segmentation by ActiveCampaign – This article shares advanced tactics that can be used to segment your users.
- New Data Proves Why You Need to Segment Your Email Marketing by HubSpot – Data and statistics driven post that shows you how important email segmenting is.
- Boomtrain – Boomtrain uses Advance email segmentation for your email list. It uses AI and Machine learning to smartly assign users into different segments.
- Campaign Monitor – Campaign monitor is a complete Email Marketing tool that could segment users based on various user activities as well as using it’s in house resources.
- Kissmetrics – Though not a Email Marketing tool, Kissmetrics API can be integrated with any email service and help you implement advanced Email Marketing segmentation programs.
Email Subject Lines
An average consumer gets hundreds of emails daily. How do you stand out from the crowd. What can you do with your email so that someone opens it.
Have a Killer Subject line
Yes, being crafty with subject lines can dramatically increase open rates and user engagement rates for you emails.
Here are the resources on writing the best subject lines for your email campaign.
Blog Posts –
- How to Write Email Subject Lines That Get Opened (Based on Research) by GetVero – This is in an in-depth blog post discussing the structure and nature of email subject lines that just work. A must read if you’re struggling with low open rates for your campaign.
- 557 Email Subject Line Hacks to Get You Noticed in the Inbox by Crazyegg- An awesome cheat sheet. You can find so many subject lines from this blog article, alone, it’s surprising.
- 5 Email Subject Line Strategies That Will Increase Your Open Rates by Unbounce – According to Unbounce, these 5 strategies are the key to powerful and effective subject lines.
Email Copy & Content
After you have created great subject line, you need to address the copy that goes into the email, otherwise your email becomes redundant.
Here are a few spectacular posts on writing crisp and effective email content to attract maximum user engagement.
Blog Posts –
- How to write Email that Sells (and People Love to Read it) by Copyblogger – This post addresses the balance needed in an email. Your email should be capable enough to sell your product and also be intriguing to read off.
- 10 Email Marketing Campaigns you should Check Out Right Now by Boomtrain – Looking for inspiring and attractive content. You should take a look on how leading brands are creating their Email Marketing campaigns to attract readers and provide them with insightful stories.
- 10 Examples of Highly Effective Welcome Emails by VerticalResponse – A great welcome email goes a long way. “First impression is everything,” ever heard this phrase? This post addresses writing highly effective welcome emails by citing examples from leading brands.
- The 9 Must-Have Components of Compelling Email Copy by Hubspot – Learn what all goes into the most successful emails. A thorough breakdown of individual components of a successful marketing email that should be sent out to your readers.
- 14 Ways to Get More Clicks In Your Emails by IncomeDiary – Looking for easy hacks that could increase CTR on every email you send it to your readers. This blog post on IncomeDiary can help you out.
- Use These Words At The End Of Your Emails To Increase Your Chance Of Getting A Reply by Fast Company – Even your email signature contributes to engagement rates, surprising right? This story gives us insight on using the proper sign-off message and increase your reply rates.
- How Your Customers Actually Read Your Emails by ConversionXL – Chris Hexton of Vero wrote this extensive read analyzing various emails sent to customers from customer executives. He points out various pain-points of an email that is successful with the readers.
- Grammarly – Grammarly needs no introduction. It’s the most popular grammar tool used to write flawlessly. Though a software can’t replace a grammar nazi, it does a pretty good job by helping you out finding grammatical mistakes on your articles and blog post.
- Really Good Emails – One of the must-have website if someone is starting with Email Marketing or is a veteran. This website is a collection of emails sent from companies of all sorts and from all industry verticals. If you’re looking for a dash of inspiration or need an idea, this website covers everything.
- Neville Medhora’s Blog – We can’t call this a tool, he is one of the best email marketer on the face of earth currently. One of the best copywriters, Neville Medhora provides best practices that can improve your content creation and ideation and take it to another level.
Email design and User-Friendliness
The last part you need to address while crafting your email campaign, the email design. You might never get good results if your emails look ugly or lack that necessary oomph!! Even if you have a killer subject and stellar email content.
That’s why most email marketers stress on the design and user-friendliness of emails.
In the following section, we will walk you through the best available online-resources when it comes to email design and usability.
- Plain Text vs. HTML Emails: Which Is Better? by HubSpot – Many marketers and salesperson stick to plain text emails. The notion here is that plain text emails are poised to get more traction than HTML emails. HubSpot did a market study to see whether the claim is substantial or it’s just our state of mind.
- 7 Design Mistakes That Make Readers Trash Your Emails by Constant Contact – When I got into Email Marketing, I had to take care of the strategy, the copy, the design, in short, everything. While designing emails, I read this blog posts, it helped me avoid design mistakes that meant that my emails would end in the spam or trash folder. A must read if you want to avoid email design blunders.
- 50 Of The Best Email Marketing Designs We’ve Ever Seen (And How You Can Create One Just As Good) by Canva by Canva – The headline of the article is straightforward. It is exactly what you read. Canva is one of the best banner and image creation tools on the internet and they have prepared an article that showcases the best designs and helps you design one that is similar to these.
- How To Design an Email Newsletter Template in 7 Simple Steps by Crazy Egg – If you’re a beginner when it comes to creating functional email newsletter templates, this blog post is for you. It’s an in-depth guide to creating a basic yet fully functional email newsletter that’s going to catch your customer’s eyes.
- 10 Email Marketing Campaigns you should Check Out Right Now by Boomtrain – Looking for inspiring and attractive content. These 10 campaigns are broken down into various email categories and discuss why exactly these campaigns stand out from the rest of the competition.
- Campaign Monitor – With Over 100+ email design templates, no one can go wrong while selecting the optimum email design for their marketing campaign. Campaign monitor also has advance features like Mobile responsive email design, A/B testing based on device targeting and user demographics, etc.
- Canva – A free image and visual content creation tool. A lot of bootstrapped and early stage startup bank on Canva for the creation of visually stunning email newsletter.
- ThemeForest – One of the largest database of email newsletter. ThemeForest has over 600+ email templates that could be bought at a price of as low as $4.
- ReallyGoodEmails – As we discussed above, this website has a collection of emails from all leading brands. Over 1000+ emails can be checked and used as inspiration before you design your next email.
Email A/B Testing
You might think that your email has the perfect tone and the copy to deliver the write message to your readers.
But, at times, you might notice that things can better with experimentation. That’s why email A/B testing is crucial for any email marketer.
A/B testing can provide you with insights about your email campaign. You can differentiate if the original version is better or the improved one.
Here are the best email A/B testing guides we could scour the internet.
- A Beginner’s Guide to A/B Testing: Email Campaigns That Convert by KissMetrics – This is a thorough guide on how one can setup an email campaign based A/B test and attain best results. The blog post guides you through the beginning till the end.
- How to Build Strong A/B Testing Plan that gets you Results by ConversionXL – Looking for a bulletproof plan for your split testing. This blog has got you covered.
- How to Stop Fearing and Start Crushing A/B Testing (18 Tests) by YesWare blog – This one contains 18 smart ways in which you can A/B testing your emails. If you’re running out of ideas when it comes to email optimization, then this one is for you.
- 3 Reasons Machine Learning Trumps A/B Testing Split Testing by Persado blog – A/B testing is slowly losing ground when it comes to the customer with a large audience. Machine learning and AI engines are far superior to split testing. Persado gives you three reasons why. If you’re a large enterprise, this is a must read.
- 3 Real-Life Examples of Incredibly Successful A/B Tests by HubSpot – Looking for concrete data before you commit yourself towards A/B testing your emails. This blog post showcases exactly that. A proper breakdown between the test version and the original version from 3 industry leading brands. HubSpot nails this one.
- Boomtrain – Boomtrain is advanced marketing automation engine that implements machine learning algorithm to implement the email campaign that works the best for you.
- Campaign Monitor – Campaign Monitor has an advanced feature set when it comes to A/B testing. Implementing one for your brand is a breeze.
- Marketo – Marketo is known to be one of the largest marketing automation brands around the world. Email Marketing is baked right into in. Plus Marketo can be easily integrated with CRMs like Salesforce, Pipedrive and more.
- Intercom – Intercom is another marketing automation service that has a decent Email Marketing tool with A/B testing capabilities.
- Mailchimp – Mailchimp needs no introduction when it comes to Email Marketing. One of the pioneers in the Email Marketing industry, Mailchimp has been a goto service if you’re just beginning. PS: It’s A/B testing feature has been free as of June 2016.
If you’re running an Email Marketing campaign, it’s a no-brainer that you need to keep measuring your efforts.
This section delves into the key metrics and measurement tools that one should take a look at to measure their campaign’s success.
Blog Post –
- Email Marketing: 5 Key Metrics that Really Matters by Boomtrain – This post discusses the key metrics that one should take into account when they run an Email Marketing campaign. If you’re a beginner or a veteran, this post can help you understand what’s up with your campaign.
- How to Set Up Google Analytics Goals to Track Email Signups by GetResponse – Google Analytics is a really powerful tool. It can be used to measure all sorts of activity on your website. This guide helps you set Google Analytics in conjecture to your sign up forms so that you can track email signups.
- How Do Email Marketing Companies Track Email Opens? by AWeber – The post seems self-explanatory, doesn’t it? Actually, this post is completely different from what the heading says. It discusses how Email Marketing companies track email opens even when they don’t get opened. Sounds weird right? Read this post to understand what’s going on.
- Google Analytics – Google Analytics is probably the best free tool when it comes to analyzing your web traffic and user behavior. Little do people know that Google Analytics could also be used to track email campaigns. You can check a thorough guide here on how to track email campaigns with Google Analytics.
- Google URL Builder – You can use Google’s URL builder to add tags to your emails CTAs and link. This will allow you to figure out if the incoming traffic is from your email newsletter or from other sources.
- Litmus – This is an awesome way to see how your email will look in 30 different email clients. It’s a cool way to ensure your emails are mobile-ready. Litmus also offers advanced tracking and spam-filter testing.
- Sleeknote’s Email ROI Calculator – Ever wanted a tool that can quickly calculate the ROI of your email marketing campaign. The team at Sleeknote has made an easy to use calculator just for this purpose.
One of the biggest reasons why your emails don’t churn out the desired results is the lack of email personalization.
Modern consumers prefer to have a 1:1 user experience. They want to feel that they are important to the brand and hence a personalized email campaign works way better than a generic one. Here are blog posts to help you with it.
Blog posts –
- “FName” – 6 Advanced Ways to Personalize Emails by Boomtrain – Email Personalization is more than just adding the “FName” tag. This blog post exclusively discusses advanced methods through which you can personalize user email experience on a 1:1 level.
- How Chowhound increased their email engagement by 2.5X by Boomtrain – The following case study talks about how Chowhound sent personalized email to their audience and boost engagement by 150 percent. Neat right?
- 12 Personalized Email Examples You Can’t Help but Click by HubSpot – If you’re looking for examples on how email personalization works, this is the blog post you have to take a look at. It has 12 great examples on how personalization can boost your email engagement rate.
If you’re looking to up your email personalization game, we recommend you try out Boomtrain’s email engine.
Email Conversion Optimization
The reason to start a Email Marketing campaign is to grow an email list and then convert those subscribers into your customers.
In this section we have gathered a list of email conversion related posts that will guide you towards achieving your goals.
- Understanding the Marketing Funnel: 5 Strategies to Improve Your Email Marketing by AWeber – A go-to guide if you are setting up for your first few Email Marketing campaigns. This post will explain how a Email Marketing funnel looks like and how you can structure your campaign around it.
- How to Generate More Sales From Your Email Marketing Campaigns by ConversionXL – This blog post delves into data-backed methods that could you help improve your email conversion rate.
- Want Better Email Conversion Rates? Try These 7 Tips. (Infographic) by Entrepreneur – Short on time, can’t read a huge piece of content on optimizing Email conversion rate, then you ought to read this infographic.
- 5 Amazing Advantages of Behavioral Target Emails by Boomtrain – Did you know Behavioral emails led to a spike of 30% in email engagement and 17% in conversion rates. A must read, if you want to learn more about behavior based emails.
- Boomtrain – Using AI and machine learning technologies, Boomtrain optimizes your emails on the fly, to improve conversion rate. It takes care of user personalization, content and product recommendation so that the user can connect with the email on a personal level. This results in better conversion rate as well as higher user engagement.
- Campaign Monitor – As discussed above, Campaign Monitor is a complete Email Marketing tool. It provides precise marketing reports to show you what is working and what is not. Using this data, conversion optimization becomes a breeze.
- Kissmetrics – Kissmetrics is a user activity tracking tool, it can be integrated with your emails and help you track how users interact with your email. You can pull this data to check the source of where your users are landing on your website and optimize conversion by providing the most relevant content based on your user’s activity.
Email Marketing Influencers
This section round ups the world’s best email marketers. These folks have thoroughly mastered the world of Email Marketing and can help you become a master yourself.
Either you want to learn from them, or you want to reach out to them for exclusive Email Marketing tips and tricks. These influencers are one of a kind.
- Dennis Wakabayashi – As the Group Director of Digital Marketing and Integration at the Integer Group, Dennis Wakabayashi prides himself on executing Email Marketing for global brands. He’s worked with companies like McDonald’s, Beck’s Beer, Mary Kay, and many more, and has a solid track record of Email Marketing success. Follow @dwakabayashi on Twitter or take a look at his website.
- Matthew Smith – Founder of both Really Good Emails and creative agency Fathom & Draft, Matthew has worked with The Gates Foundation, U.S. Postal Service, Fox, MIT, and Seth Godin, and he’s led creative for world-class startups. So when it comes to email design knowledge, we don’t think anyone is better than him. Follow @whale on Twitter
- Kath Pay – Founder and CEO of Holistic Email Marketing is a speaker, trainer, and consultant on the topic of conversion-oriented Email Marketing. Vocus named her one of the World’s Top 50 Email Marketing Influencers in 2014. Follow @kathpay on Twitter
- Joey Pulizzi – He is the founder of the Content Marketing Institute and Content Marketing World, and since 2007, he has been publishing valuable content on Email Marketing. His website is considered to be one of the best marketing guides when it comes to content and Email Marketing. No wonder, we have added him to this list.
- Sam Hurley – He is regarded as one of the best marketers in 2017. A guy who made himself using just the power of social media, Sam Hurley knows the art of grabbing your attention. A man with his own way of words, add him definitely to your list if you want to write great email content. Follow @Sam__hurley on Twitter.
- Jeff Bullas – Regarded as one of the finesst digital marketer out there, Jeff is a must-follow for anyone in the digital marketing realm, but especially in Email Marketing. He has over 530,000 followers and averages six retweets per tweet. Follow @Jeffbullas on Twitter.
- Peep Laja – He is the founder of the super popular website among marketers, ConversionXL. Peep is a firm believer of data-based marketing. He has a firm belief that conversion rates and user engagement could be increased if you look at the right data-set and analytics. You should absolutely follow him, if you want your email conversion rate to soar. Follow @peeplaja on Twitter.
- Jordie Van Rijn – The founder of EmailMonday, named one of Entrepreneur’s 50 Online Marketing Influencers to Watch in 2016 and Huffington Post’s 23 Thought Leaders Every No doubt, Jordie van Rijn is a master of Email Marketing. His specialties include everything from online marketing strategy to email automation and more. Follow @jvanrijn on Twitter.
- Jaina Mistry – She is the Brit living in Bahrain (as her Twitter handle says). An Email Marketing specialist works with Litmus and have also contributed to Campaign Monitor. She is full-stack email marketer one should follow. Follow @jainamistry on Twitter.
- Ramit Sethi – Ramit is the bestselling author and CEO of I Will Teach You to be Rich, a multi-million-dollar online business. He is obsessed with all thing related to growth hacking, Email Marketing and personal growth. A must follow, if you want to empower yourself. Follow @ramit on Twitter.
Complete Email Marketing Guides and eBooks
- The Modern Guidebook to Email Marketing by Campaign Monitor -This guide covers deeply how to build a quality email list of engaged subscribers. You will learn the anatomy of sending effective emails, the best tips for sales copywriting and how and when to send your emails.
- The Definitive Guide to Conversion Optimization by Quick Sprout – This books exclusively covers ways to gather and optimize your conversion rate. While the book talks more about website marketing techniques, it also delves into insightful Email Marketing techniques that could help you out.
- The Ultimate Guide To Successful Email Marketing by Vero – This guide from Vero provides some insights on creating and measuring a successful Email Marketing campaign. It goes deeper into everything when it comes to creating awesome content, including writing great subject lines and email copy, creating effective call-to-actions and developing content ideas that matter to your subscribers.
- Email Marketing: How to Push Send and Grow Your Business by The Copyblogger – A complete eBook targeted on growing your email list as well as improving your conversion ratio. Copyblogger is known to publish great content and this is no less.
- When Is The Best Time To Send An Email Newsletter? by Venngage – A comprehensive article about the most optimum send time for an email newsletter.
From planning out your Email Marketing campaign, building an email list to optimizing conversion ratio and measuring your Email Marketing success, I hope we have covered it all.
If you have any more suggestions, please tweet to @ZetaGlobal.